top of page

About Your Library

History of SRLS

In September of 1922, the Canton Woman’s Club put forth the initial plans for a public library in Canton. In 1923, a group of dedicated members of the Canton Woman’s Club gave a collection of books which established Canton’s first public library. The collection was housed in rent-free space behind Higgins Jewelry Store on Main Street; it was presided over by the late Miss Malinda Roberts who volunteered to keep it open two days a week.

 

In 1957, the R. T. Jones Foundation bought the old McAfee home on Main Street to house the library. The Foundation also provided the $25,000 needed to remodel the home for library use. At this time, the library became qualified for State aid which enabled the library to expand its collection. The State also loaned the library a bookmobile in 1957 until the library purchased its own in 1958.

 

On March 25, 1957, a contract was signed with Pickens County to form the Cherokee-Pickens Regional Library (1958). Gilmer County became part of the system in 1959 forming the Cherokee-Pickens-Gilmer Regional Library. The system’s name became Sequoyah Regional Library on July 1, 1961.

bottom of page